Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Difficult horses can be misunderstood. Beware of a horses language.

 I found this to be very interesting. I had a mare that was just like this mare. Sometimes mares can be mighty testy.  Ever been in a round pen with a horse that had a mind of its own? My horse was named Star. Star would turn her rear to me and actually charge. She never seemed to like anything that came to discipline. We worked with Star and finally she calmed down to being kinda nice. I will never forget the times I would bring her in from the paddocks and she would try kicking me for no reason at all. 

About four or five days after hurricane Jean, I observed Star grazing in her paddock. She seemed happy as good be. I noticed she went into the shed and decided to rest on the ground. I thought she had just eaten plenty of grass and was satisfied. An hour later, I noticed Star had not moved from her position. I walked into the paddock to check her and she had died. I was so upset. Star looked perfectly fine one minute and gone the next. 

Even though Star was never the most gentle horse on the farm, Star had a place in my heart. We think of her often.

Posted via email from horsetalkgirl's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment